This month for my portfolio was choppy to say the least. Impacts were the start of calculating hurricane damage, data breaches, fears of a primary tenants’ possible bond default, continuing geopolitical fears and a strengthening of the US dollar at month end (again). With a portfolio currently weighted 15.35% pure international and a little overweight towards Texas it’s not too surprising the S&P index outperformed by increasing 1.93% versus my 0.36% increase. For the year I’m still ahead by 2.9%. On the other hand, dividends received set a new monthly record.
Headlines impacting my portfolio (bold are owned):
- 9/7 – SQ to apply for UT banking license as an industrial loan co.
- 9/7 – BANF acquires First Wagoner Corp and First Chandler Corp
- 9/7 – EFX announced massive dB hack
- 9/11 – UNH makes formal offer to acquire BANMEDICA.SN
- 9/11 – Cdn approval for POT/AGU merger received. awaiting US, India and China.
- 9/14 – MMP forms JV w/ VLO for marine termimal in Pasadena, TX
- 9/21 – GBL (Mario Gabelli) increases stake to 7.74% in BATRA
- 9/25 – GE sells industrial solutions unit to ABB
- 9/28 – DGX acquires Shiel Medical Laboratories from FMS
- 9/28 – IVZ buys Guggenheim Ptnrs ETF business
- 9/29 – AIG sheds SIFI designation
- added to FFIC prior to ex-div on market weakness (N. Korea)
- added to NWFL (stock split)
- added to AROW (stock dividend)
- added to HOMB and lost SGBK (merger)
- September delivered an increase of 47.56% Y/Y with the about half of the increase being attributable dividend increases and the other half purchases with an assist from a merger premium.
- September delivered an increase of 16.87% over last quarter (June). Semi-annual payers, a purchase and dividend increases being the reasons.
- Declared dividend increases averaged 10.98% with 65.54% of the portfolio delivering at least one increase (including 2 cuts and 1 suspension)
- YTD dividends received were 92.61% of total 2016 dividends which if the current run rate is maintained would exceed last years’ total in late October.
Spirit Realty Capital (SRC) has been announced.
AGU/POT (Nutrien) remains pending, SGBK/HOMB completed September 26th.
With the primary goal of exceeding last year’s dividends in sight, my focus turns to developing a strategy for 2018 – which will likely hinge on the degree of success – if any – to be expected in Year 2 of this administration. Otherwise I’ll probably continue with the current adding to the underweight holdings unless news erupts.