The market staged a little recovery this month seemingly shaking off – or at least minimizing – any effects of the ongoing Covid-19 devastation, due in part to the partial ramp up of the economy in some states. My state is one where a ‘phased’ approach is underway and there is uncertainty as to whether the peak has been attained (thereby ignoring the federal template). While the economic malaise is running rampant through the states, it is doubly acute in the oil patch where state budgets (Texas) are dependent on a 4.6% tax on extraction (in a declining price environment) addition to an otherwise robust economy. It will be an interesting social experiment as to how quick the average consumer will embrace the new reality (capacity limits in restaurants, for one), the ability for these businesses to turn a profit anew and if this throttling can move the needle on the economy (GDP, unemployment) without a corresponding spike in cases and/or mortality. For one, I’m willing (and able) to wait at least two weeks and reassess at that time.
Due to the broker reshuffling caused by Motif shutting down, I can only provide a close estimate for the month. Currently about $2,000 (cash, dividends, sells, buys) is in the ether migrating amongst accounts. A full accounting is probably a week or two out.
Portfolio Value: An estimated increase of 10.8% versus the 11.26% gain of the S&P. For the year I’m up 2.06%. All full share positions have been received by my primary broker with.
Dividends: As previously acknowledged, my dividend increase run rate was not sustainable. This came to bear in April with a 7.49% year-on-year actual increase. I don’t think I lost any dividends with the timing of the transfer, but I may take a slight temporary hit as I await the cash to redeploy it. Also some of the cycles will change as I exit some issues.
The pace of dividend cuts/suspensions continues to increase while any increases tend to be muted by 2019 standards. Net increase for the portfolio stands at 5.75%, meaning my 10% dividend growth rate goal is in jeopardy.
Strategy Shift: In probably an overabundance of caution, I’ve decided to exit REITs that have a retail focus. If the crisis is prolonged, rents, vacancy rates, property values and ability to refinance could come under pressure. The ones retained are the four industrial and specialties in my portfolio.
I borrowed this illustration from one of my companies (BOKF) and modified it for my portfolio to begin to gauge potential impacts. Currently PEP and KO’s biggest impact would reside in their fountain drinks (restaurants and venues). I have yet to calculate a total …
Covid-19 Impact Areas
|Entertainment & Recreation|
|All Other||CMCSA, DIS, T, AMC, PEP, KO, MSG, BATRA|
|Convenience Stores & Gas Stations||CASY, VLO, CVX, RDS.B|
|Restaurants||CBRL, YUM, YUMC, SBUX, MCD|
|All Other Retail||KIM, SRC, WRE, VER|
|Churches & Religious Organizations||CMPGY|
|Colleges & Universities||SYY|
|Identified Businesses most impacted by Covid-19 mitigation efforts approximately xx.xx % of portfolio|
I’m using this template strictly as a guide. The retail facing REITs are all sold (with the exception of Kimco), Southwest Airlines has been reduced, the others on this list are cautious holds. I continue the review of my portfolio with an eye on secondary impacts – like who really considered any impact to banks because church services weren’t being held? I probably need to expand my thought process to include further knock-off effects.
Later in May I’ll update my posted portfolio – once the confirmations (and money) arrive. What will be clearer is the shift to larger but fewer holdings. While the portfolio remains sizable, I will retain some speculative stocks and a few where I remain undecided. By and large, banks with no dividend growth or ones where M&A prospects have dimmed will be pruned. In June I expect to exit ETFs as well. For the near term (12-24 months) I’m willing to accept a lower dividend yield if I gain quality – and limited Covid-19 exposure – in return.
Here’s hoping your month turned the corner!