The market continued with its’ on-going roller coaster, triggered primarily by external factors in the political arena – basically trade and impeachment. Despite the turmoil, the S&P gained 2.46% and my portfolio rose 4.15%. For the year, I’m outperforming the benchmark by 4.96%.
Like DivHut, I try to make at least one buy per month although these purchases have become smaller as my sentiment has grown increasingly cautious. Therefore, my cash position via non-reinvested dividends (not reported) has grown. The lack of Y/Y dividend growth for September is a testament against hoarding cash – particularly when hit with dividend cuts earlier in the year. This month the grandkid was forced to liquidate her portfolio or face losing 25% of her college assistance (grants/scholarships, etc.). Reminder to self: Future topic possibility being the dark ugly underbelly of custodial accounts (529s are even worse …) Anyway, I decided to deploy part of my accumulated cash to build a replica of her portfolio that I will hold. Bottom line, just when I think I’m shrinking the number of companies owned I get thrown a curveball.
- increased my JNJ position
- increased my CL position
- increased my CHD position
- added GPN (lost TSS via merger)
- increased my DIS position
My primary focus resides on dividends with the goal being a rising flow on an annual basis.
- September delivered a decrease of 3.4% Y/Y. This was my first decrease since December 2018 and is primarily a result of not staying ahead of the first quarter dividend cuts (e.g., cash position)
- Dividend increases averaged 10.34% with 61.67% of the portfolio delivering at least one increase (including 4 cuts). This is off last years’ pace and I believe a new personal record for dividend cuts in a single year since about 1980.
- 2019 Dividends received were 82.89% of 2018 total dividends putting me on target to exceed last year’s total in late October or early November. The YTD run rate is 108.08% of 2018, slightly under my 110.0% goal – but still recoverable – especially with the portfolio replication decision.
Note: I updated my Goals page to provide a visual of these numbers. Based on Mr All Things Money’s instruction set with a conversion to percentages. My code only updates when the monthly Y/Y number is exceeded. Otherwise, the prior year actual is used.
XRX merger with Fujifilm
cancelled (still being litigated). The expected settlement was disallowed by the judge September 13th.
PB to acquire LTXB for 0.528 shares and $6.28 cash for each LTXB share. I plan voted in favor of the transaction (on both sides), pocket the cash and sell the new shares – retaining the old PB shares post-merger. I will not add to my PB stake.
VLY to acquire ORIT for 1.6 sh VLY to 1 ORIT. This merger will result in a slight dividend cut November forward as the rate will be normalized to VLY’s current rate. In my view, the other positives outweigh this negative.
PBCT to aquire UBNK for .875 sh PBCT to 1 UBNK. I plan to hold this one as I wouldn’t be surprised if PBCT gets taken out at some point.
Spirit MTA REIT (SMTA) voted on Sept. 4th to approve the sale of most assets to HPT for cash. A second vote was held to liquidate the REIT. Awaiting final settlement payouts and still expecting to be a profitable outcome for one of my most speculative positions.
The three banks continue to validate my strategy of bank consolidations from a few years ago. The only flaw (so far) was the holding period required – but dividends were received while waiting.
Overall, no complaints. It appears the pending mergers/liquidation might provide enough of a premium to improve my performance over the index, but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself yet. I still see a little consolidation in my holdings through the last half of the year and am still migrating to a slightly risk off stance, offset slightly by companies with compelling stories. My cash position will hover close to zero while replicating the kids’ portfolio but expect the dividend growth to accelerate into the first half of 2020 with this strategy.
Here’s hoping your month was successful!