The general upward trend continued in July with major indices again hitting new highs. With my strategy shift in place, I did deploy new capital but only in a positioning move ahead of a spin. The S&P ended the month up 1.93% while my portfolio trailed with a gain of 1.77% largely due to the financial sector lagging the market. For the year, I’m ahead of the index by 4.86%.
Headlines impacting my portfolio (bold are owned):
- 7/5 – YUMC indicates reviewing possible dividend payout
- 7/7 – MET acquires FIG’s asset management business
- 7/10 – CM acquires Geneva Advisors
- 7/11 –BR acquires Spence Johnson Ltd
- 7/12 – ABM acquires GCA Services
- 7/12 – AAPL adds PYPL as appstore pymt option
- 7/13 – MFC reportedly reviewing sale or IPO of John Hancock
- 7/17 – CHD to buy waterpik
- 7/17 – China places restrictions on loans to Wanda (AMC)
- 7/18 – MKC to buy RBGPF’s food business
- 7/18 – CCI acquires Lightower
- 7/19 – HRNNF (H.TO) to acquire AVA
- 7/20 – SRC considering spinoff of Shopko properties
- 7/21 – BX and CVC Capital offer $3.7B for Paysafe (PAYS.L)
- 7/26 – SHPG rumored to be takeover target
- 7/27 – Ackman discloses stake in ADP
- 7/28 – IRM acquires Mag Datacenters LLC
- 7/31 – BX (w/ ETP 50.1%) buys 49.9% of holding co. that owns 65% of Rover pipeline
Note: my comment of July 21st on AMC (Dividend Diplomats) remains prescient in light of their warning on August 1st. I believe now is a viable entry point if cognizant of possible risk to the dividend particularly as related to lender covenants. EPR may have a slight risk as well.
- Added to MET (spinoff positioning)
- July delivered an increase of 2.14% Y/Y with the vast majority of the increase being attributable dividend increases.
- July delivered a decrease of 8.85% over last quarter (Apr) with TIS (dividend suspension) and foreign cycles (interim/final) being the culprits.
- Declared dividend increases averaged 10.81% with 61.02% of the portfolio delivering at least one increase (including 2 cuts and 1 suspension)
- YTD dividends received were 69.81% of total 2016 dividends which if the current run rate is maintained would exceed last years’ total in early November
MET has declared their spinoff – Brighthouse Financial (BHF) – effective August 4th. Holders as of July 19th will be entitled to 1 share for each 11 MET shares owned.
AGU/POT (Nutrien), SGBK/HOMB remain pending
Overall another positive month with the only disappointment being the Q/Q dividend decline – which was expected. The primary metric (annual dividend increase) remains on target and well ahead of inflation.