In a recent conversation with a friend of mine, the topic of cryptocurrency arose as he has started accepting Bitcoin in his business. Though more enamored over the possibilities of wealth through hoarding and/or trading, he began to look under the hood to figure out why I had a greater fondness for Blockchain over any cryptocurrency. His insight surprised me: “You’re like the sluice box salesman in the California Gold Rush.”
I choose to think of myself as a shortstop hitting singles rather than a home run hitter going for the fence, but his analogy was apt. I prefer to get a slice of many transactions as opposed to getting the big one. I play the percentages. He was able to visualize I place a greater value on the tools (mining), transport (exchanges) and utility (ancillary applications) rather than the commodity itself. Meaning, I’d rather sell the Levi’s than look for (and mine) the gold vein.
It appears the revisions to the tax plan being discussed will be slightly less draconian than previously announced resulting in a little lead time for portfolio adjustments. My guess (pure speculation) is the first half of 2018 will be relatively good but a little choppy. The last half I suspect we’ll be seeing a weaker dollar, a little uptick in inflation and minimal tangible results from the administration’s policies. Anyway, an emphasis on appreciation over dividends in a rising tax environment may result in tax deferral possibilities. This belief is the basis for next years’ strategy as subsequently outlined.
- Continuation of the primary portfolio strategy in regards to moving closer to the defined target allocations. One example of this was my first December purchase, KMB which is an Anchor holding of mine.
- With the tax bill still in an uncertain status, load the maximum allowable contribution to the IRA. These funds have been allocated and will be moved by month end. A small Canadian holding in my taxable account has been identified as my new IRA purchase which will probably be made in January (pre ex-div). A by-product of this will be a temporary overweight status in this issue. Since I don’t like redundant holdings across accounts, my smaller taxable holding will be sold post ex-div. This should shield more income from taxation (under current tax).
- Implemented (December 14th) my side strategy for 2018 titled Sluice Box which is a reference to the Gold Rush days. This represents about 1% of the portfolio and was created (and bought) in my Motif account (shameless plug). The emphasis is on Bitcoin, Blockchain, Growth and my first Swiss stocks with a couple of beaten down issues thrown in.
My 2018 strategy research began in earnest when I encountered Fortune magazines’ November 1st article, In Search Of ‘Vital’ Companies. Of the fifty companies listed, my selection process drilled into the dividend payers – albeit at low yields. Then on November 7th, Investor Place published The 10 Best Growth Stocks You Can Buy Now. I chose to ignore The Dividend Guy’s August 23rd launch of Dividend Growth Rocks as I tend to shy away from paid sites particularly when operated by one person with multiple pseudonyms. Besides, only one of his selections (Nordson – NDSN) was either not owned already or replicated in the other analyses.
Once the data was combined, I removed issues already owned and ones I had no inclination to buy. Basically I had to be convinced of the opportunity and that the price (subjective argument) remained reasonable.
The following table presents my 2018 picks and the primary reason. All but one are dividend payers and I front-loaded my purchase to 2017 to ensure receipt of CME’s special dividend (ex-div Dec 28).
|SLUICE BOX (Motif: 2018 Growth)
|NVIDIA Corporation (1,2)
|CME Group Inc
|Cboe Global Markets Inc
|Intercontinental Ex. (1)
|Microsoft Corp. (2)
||Blockchain (Azure, Ethereum)
|JPMorgan Chase & Co. (2)
||Blockchain (hyper ledger)
|Veritex Holdings Inc
||emerging growth co. (JOBS Act)
|Ottawa Bancorp, Inc.
||2-step conversion (growth)
|Newell Brands Inc
|Energizer Holdings Inc
|Cognizant Technology (1)
|Intuit Inc. (1)
|Novartis AG (ADR)
||possible Alcon spin
|ABB Ltd (ADR)
||purchased a GE segment
- Future 50 (also currently own: MA, V)
- Investor Place 10 (also currently own: V, SQ)
- Other Bitcoin/Blockchain indirect investments include: GS, IBM, WU, AMTD
At the very least it will be interesting to observe the Crypto phenomenon in more of a supporting role. I also need to acknowledge Dividend Diplomats whose research on NWL was enlightening.