Octobers carry the weight of history on their shoulders and this year was true to form with some wild swings. Though some sectors touched bear market territory (think housing), basically this month was a mere – but tumultuous – correction. As we head towards this years’ finish line, there is no room for complacency as my fear is that storm clouds are forming heading into 2019 – basically a tale of two economies. At the forefront of my mind are the two companies delivering notice of dividend cuts effective January. I’ll dive into them in more detail next week but Owens & Minor (OMI) a soon to be former Dividend Achiever which will probably be sold (-71.15% cut) and General Electric (GE) which will cut for the second year in a row this time by -91.67% to which I’ll probably add. At least I have two months lead time to execute a strategy on my terms as the losses are already baked in. October saw the S&P of drop 6.96% while my portfolio outperformed the index by decreasing 5.8%. YTD I’m ahead of the S&P by 1.36%.
- lost COBZ, added additional BOKF as stock/cash merger completed
- initiated new position: CL
- initiated new position: BHBK
- initiated new position: BNCL
- initiated new position: HTH
- initiated new position: SF
- rebalanced and added to my ETF group (CUT, EWA, EWW, JPMV, VGK)
- averaged down on OZK
- added to CLX prior to ex-div
My main focus resides on dividends. Market gyrations are to be expected but my goal is to see a rising flow of dividends on an annual basis. I’m placing less emphasis on the quarterly numbers as the number of semi-annual, interim/final and annual cycles have been steadily increasing in my portfolio.
- October delivered an increase of 32.12% Y/Y, the impacts being dividend increases, special dividends and reinvesting merger cash proceeds into the portfolio.
- October delivered a 10.52% increase over last quarter (Jul).
- Dividend increases averaged 15.56% with 74.77% of the portfolio delivering at least one increase (including 2 cuts (GE, SRC).
- 2018 Dividends received were 104.04% of 2017 total dividends exceeding last year’s on October 19th.
Note: I updated my Goals page to provide a visual of these numbers. Based on Mr All Things Money’s instruction set with a conversion to percentages. My code only updates when the monthly Y/Y number is exceeded. Otherwise, the prior year actual is used.
GE‘s rail unit to spin then merge with WEB
GE to spin 80% of the health business
NVS proposed spin of Alcon scheduled for shareholder approval Feb 2019
On Oct 4, MSG filed a confidential Form 10 to spin the sports business
XRX merger with Fujifilm
cancelled (still being litigated).
SHPG to merge into TKPYY
GBNK to merge into IBTX (shareholders approved)
GNBC to merge into VBTX (semi-reverse)
BNCL to merge into WSFS
BHBK to merge into INDB
My repositioning was completed and my 2018 dividends pretty much locked in. I’ll now focus on 2019 as it appears I need a head start with the dividend cuts looming. 🙂
Hope your October was equally as good – or better!