Subsequent to the US election, many have pondered the impact to the economy at-large or at a micro level. Consider Cramer’s Trump stocks or the Trigger app as examples. I too have not been immune as I bought into Europe, Canada, Mexico and Australia as presidential comments resulted in temporary pricing weakness. The question remains what – if anything – can be accomplished on his agenda. With healthcare and tax reform fraught with partisan politics, it appears the best option of the remaining campaign promises is infrastructure as on the surface there still is the hope of bi-partisanship. Yet aside from a vague “public-private” partnership, details have been lacking probably due to resources allocated to the aforementioned agenda items.
Last month saw the commencement of the Congressional take on the ‘bully pulpit’ with first Heather Bresch (Mylan (MYL)/EpiPen) then John Stumpf (WFC) called on the carpet. One would think Heather would have been smart enough to avoid taking the same path blazed so brilliantly by Martin Shkreli (Turing/Valeant (VRX) fame). Her show was overshadowed by the even greedier Wells Fargo with John either portrayed as ‘asleep at the wheel’ or a criminal mastermind. Wouldn’t life be interesting if Congress actually did anything other than use hearings to frame media sound bites? The S&P was basically flat for the month ending down 0.12%. My portfolio was basically flat as well, ending up 0.04%. This increases my lead for the year to 11.88% with one quarter left to go.
Headlines impacting my portfolio:
- 9/1 – CHD 2:1 stock split
- 9/2 – Ireland to appeal EU anti-AAPL tax ruling
- 9/6 – ENB to acquire SE
- 9/12 – AGU/POT reach merger agreement
- 9/19 – REITs officially become their own sector
- 9/26 – YUM spin set at 1:1 YUMC for 10/31
- 9/29 – Supreme Court agrees to hear credit card surcharge case
- – PNY/DUK merger approved, closing set for 10/3
I’m a little behind this month but the portfolio data has been compiled and will be posted in the next couple of days with the goals update later in the week. The Unabridged portfolio should be next week as per normal.
- FMBH replaced FCLF due to merger
- Added to TOWN – this ‘makes whole’ this holding following my sale of MNRK prior to the merger. (didn’t want to hold TOWN across two accounts)
- Added to AROW prior to ex-div for the stock dividend (shares added Sept 29)
- Added to SBUX
All were funded by dividends with no ‘new cash’ deployed. New cash was deployed for the annual funding of the trust I manage (skip generation). The trust is excluded from my DGI portfolio and WFC is this year’s addition. This is only the second time I’ve duplicated one of my holdings – the other being DIS. The other trust holdings are GIS, HSY, PG, WMT, WGL, UNP, KHC and TXN.
- September delivered an increase of 24.7% over September 2015. This was due about evenly between dividend increases (Y/Y) and late 2015 funding.
- September was up 4.4% from the prior quarter.
- Announced dividend increases currently average 12.91% with 63.09% of my portfolio having at least one raise so far this year.
- Through September, dividends received were equal to 95.7% of all 2015 dividends, keeping me on pace to exceed last year’s total -now estimated to be October 4th (as compared to 2015 being Sept. 9th).
With the cash from PNY/DUK, I’ll be looking to redeploy primarily into existing Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct payers within my portfolio with no new positions expected. Losing PNY and the expected loss of LSBG (another merger) will leave about a 5.07% hole in my January dividend receipts unless I act now.
The YUM spin has been set for Oct 31st with YUMC to begin trading Nov 1st. I don’t think the XRX spin date and ratio have been set.