What a start to the final month of the year. At least there is a little something for everyone. First the CME tripped the first wave of circuit breakers in the futures market. Then the chartists found the S&P closed the week in a death cross. Then there’s news of a possible yield curve inversion. Lest we not forget, the most recent China issue which may or may not even be legal. While the Huawei issue is unfolding, Lighthizer continues to stir the pot by saying he considers March 1 “a hard deadline” otherwise the delayed tariffs will be imposed. Hmm … kind of like bringing a gun to a knife fight – or – perhaps the administration really believes that “free and fair trade” is an outgrowth of convoluted negotiations.
If week one is any indication, the traditional “Santa Claus Rally” will be delivering a lump of coal this year. Being the eternal optimist, I’ll argue Christmas isn’t here yet so I had to take advantage of the sell-off to do a little buying:
- First, I added to my ETF group. I accomplished two things with this:
- As the majority of these are foreign, they are underwater. Therefore, an ‘average down’ scenario.
- These all pay December dividends (one quarterly, three semi-annual and one annual) all yet undeclared. All are now captured.
- Second I executed a rebalance on a small portion of the portfolio. I chose a ‘rebalance’ as the fees were lower than the alternatives. End result being:
- Sale of BOKF. I had this issue in two accounts due to a merger, now it’s only in one, with the proceeds and accumulated dividends:
- Added to ADP, MMM, KIM, FAF as these are underweight target holdings
- Added to AVNS as they may have received a good price for the division sold to OMI
- Added to LARK and CASS – missing the ex-date for the stock dividends
- Added to BR, CNDT, CDK, FHN, JHG, KSU, PJT, WU, XRX – capturing WU’s December dividend
I still have another rebalance queued pending completion of a merger (might be into the new year) and then we return to normal operations.
I also will be selling my OMI – perhaps later in the month to see if Santa really exists!