It was a tale of two markets this month with highs being set on the 20th before pulling back through month end. It’s a riddle of sorts when consumer sentiment is off the charts and the ultimate consumer stock (BBBY) plunges on terrible sales. How about the Fed raising rates again but bank stocks fall? Then Mexico appears to tap the brakes on a possible bilateral trade deal in favor of retaining a trilateral including Canada with the Trump threat being tariffs on Canadian cars. Yes, a conundrum indeed. I was off the sidelines during the first half of the month but going silent during options expiration and the sector changes later in the month. September saw a rise in the S&P of 0.43% while my portfolio lagged by registering a decrease of 0.42%. YTD I’m ahead of the S&P by 0.21%. The biggest factor being my cash position – which is normally minimal. I only report stock positions – but if cash were reported the results would have been a wash.
- added to KMB prior to ex-div
- added to GBNK (hedge on IBTX merger)
- sold IBTX (locking in a 46% gain – I’ll get these back post merger)
- sold one CHD position (completed last month’s repositioning)
- sold one JNJ position (completed last month’s repositioning)
- added to CMA (minor rebalance)
- added to EPR (minor rebalance)
- added to CBSH (minor rebalance)
- added to FFIN (minor rebalance)
- added to MAIN (minor rebalance)
- added to MKC (minor rebalance)
- added to PYPL (minor rebalance)
- added to PNC (minor rebalance)
- added to PRI (minor rebalance)
- added to SHPG (minor rebalance)
- added to TSS (minor rebalance)
- added to UNH (minor rebalance)
- added to VLO (minor rebalance)
- added to V (minor rebalance)
My main focus resides on dividends. Market gyrations are to be expected but my goal is to see a rising flow of dividends on an annual basis. I’m placing less emphasis on the quarterly numbers as the number of semi-annual, interim/final and annual cycles have been steadily increasing in my portfolio.
- September delivered an increase of 13.54% Y/Y, the impacts being dividend increases and a sizable special dividend (AMC).
- September delivered a 15.65% increase over last quarter (Jun).
- Dividend increases averaged 14.96% with 71.03% of the portfolio delivering at least one increase (including 1 cut (GE).
- 2018 Dividends received were 92.71% of 2017 total dividends putting us on pace to exceed last year next month.
Note: I updated my Goals page to provide a visual of these numbers. Based on Mr All Things Money’s instruction set with a conversion to percentages. My code only updates when the monthly Y/Y number is exceeded. Otherwise, the prior year actual is used.
GE‘s rail unit to spin then merge with WEB
GE to spin 80% of the health business
NVS proposed spin of Alcon scheduled for shareholder approval Feb 2019
XRX merger with Fujifilm cancelled (now being litigated).
SHPG to merge into TKPYY
GBNK to merge into IBTX (shareholders approved)
COBZ to merge into BOKF (expected completion 1 Oct 2018)
GNBC to merge into VBTX (semi-reverse)
My repositioning is almost complete so next month I can begin to front load into 2019. Dividends this month hit a new record.
Hope all of you had a good month as well.