At month end, the first of the tariffs took effect with the markets basically going sideways while trying to figure the impact. My impression is the first industry to be impacted (via retaliation) will be the lobster industry. Other industries will be later as the supply chains run off. Even the US dollar is taking the noise in stride resuming its’ ascent. Finally, the CCAR results were released with approval of the majority of the capital return plans of the banking sector (additional dividend growth on the horizon). Through this I generally stayed the course, the only exception being the implementation of a hedge on two mergers. June saw a rise in the S&P of 0.48% while my portfolio underperformed by registering a rise of 0.14%. YTD I still lag the S&P by 0.69%.
- Added to WM
- Added to my ETF group (CUT, EWA, EWW, JPMV, VGK) (missing ex-div on three)
- Initiated GBNK (hedge)
- Initiated COBZ (hedge)
- Reduction in NXNN (reverse split in preparation for uplist)
This is where my main focus resides. Market gyrations are to be expected but my goal is to see a rising flow of dividends on an annual basis. I’m placing less emphasis on the quarterly numbers as the number of semi-annual, interim/final and annual cycles have been steadily increasing in my portfolio.
- June delivered an increase of 14.76% Y/Y fueled by dividend increases.
- June delivered a 7.70% decrease over last quarter (March) due to an interim/final cycle and a move of one of my larger payouts to July.
- Dividend increases averaged 14.04% with 60.38% of the portfolio delivering at least one increase (including 1 cut (GE).
- 2018 Dividends received were 59.58% of 2017 total dividends putting us on pace to exceed last year in early November.
Note: I updated my Goals page to provide a visual of these numbers. Based on Mr All Things Money’s instruction set with a conversion to percentages. My code only updates when the monthly Y/Y number is exceeded. Otherwise, the prior year actual is used.
GE‘s rail unit to spin then merge with WEB
GE to spin 80% of the health business
XRX merger with Fujifilm cancelled (now being litigated).
SHPG to merge into TKPYY
GBNK to merge into IBTX
COBZ to merge into BOKF
All in all a good – not stellar – month but it appears my continuing financial overweight will payoff next quarter.
Hope all of you had a good month as well.