The month was fairly normal until the final week with Italy followed by Trump’s tariff rollout. In between we saw the on again – off again negotiating style with North Korea and China. Other than a couple of down days it appears the market is learning to ignore the noise. Again I used the dips to my advantage and stayed the course. May saw a rise in the S&P of 2.16% while my portfolio outperformed the index by registering a rise of 2.24%. YTD I still lag the S&P by 0.35%.
- Added to CMCSA (making another round lot)
- Added to my ETF group (CUT, EWA, EWW, JPMV, VGK)
- Added to GE (on the rail spin (WAB) news)
- Added SMTA (via SRC spin)
- Added to BKSC (via 10% stock dividend)
- Added to DGX on news of UNH strategic partnership
This is where my main focus resides. Market gyrations are to be expected but my goal is to see a rising flow of dividends on an annual basis. I’m placing less emphasis on the quarterly numbers as the number of semi-annual, interim/final and annual cycles have been steadily increasing in my portfolio.
- May delivered an increase of 12.97% Y/Y fueled by dividend increases.
- May delivered a 15.98% increase over last quarter (February).
- Dividend increases averaged 12.14% with 55.98% of the portfolio delivering at least one increase (including 1 cut (GE).
- 2018 Dividends received were 46.53% of 2017 total dividends putting us on pace to exceed last year in early November.
Notes: the Q/Q shows an increasing trend line due only to timing of dividend payouts (pay date shifts). Y/Y is only on par with dividend increases as dividends received were used to purchase next quarter (rather than current quarter) dividends.
GE‘s rail unit to spin then merge with WEB
XRX merger with Fujifilm cancelled.
SHPG to merge into TKPYY
Any month with increasing dividends and beating the S&P has to be considered a good one.
Hope all of you had a good month as well.