The month was relatively crazy with geopolitics driving the highs and domestic lunacy driving the lows. In between were relatively strong earnings and interest rates inching higher driving the question of the bull market sustainability. Personally, I’m not overly concerned yet but Marco Rubio‘s “implication that Republicans have found no good answer to the problems Mr Trump described is irrefutable.” may be an omen of things to come. Meanwhile, I took advantage of some dips and stayed the course. April saw the S&P rise 0.27% and my portfolio outperformed the index by registering a rise of 0.65%! YTD I still lag the S&P by 0.43%.
- Added to CLX (prior to ex-div – an attempt to increase it to target weight)
- Lost DST (merger completed for cash, proceeds reinvested into:)
- Added to IBM (down after earnings)
- Added to SRC (preparation for spin)
- Added to BKSC (preparation for 10% stock dividend)
So I ended the month with one less holding.
This is where my main focus resides. Market gyrations are to be expected but my goal is to see a rising flow of dividends on an annual basis. I’m placing less emphasis on the quarterly numbers as the number of semi-annual, interim/final and annual cycles have been steadily increasing in my portfolio.
- April delivered an increase of 23.47% Y/Y fueled by dividend increases and purchases. Of note: this month saw my first Swiss and Swedish dividends.
- April delivered a 12.87% increase over last quarter (January).
- Dividend increases averaged 11.87% with 48.8% of the portfolio delivering at least one increase (including 1 cut (GE) and 1 suspension (DST-M&A).
- 2018 Dividends received were 40.2% of 2017 total dividends putting us on pace to exceed last year in early November.
Spirit Realty Capital (SRC) – scheduled for May 31, ex-dividend May 18, 1 sh SMTA for each 10 sh SRC.
Apr 16 – DST merger completed into SS&C for $84 cash per share.
Jan 31 – XRX announced a merger with Fujifilm for stock and $9.80 in cash. This is currently in jeopardy.
A few others are rumored to be in play including Humana and Shire.
Despite the uncertain times, a good month. Like Well Rounded Investors has enjoyed, a daily buying opportunity (until Friday) to start the month. I trialed another free-trade platform that I will share in next week’s post.
Hope all of you had a good month as well.