January saw DOW 20,000 being attained before dropping under once again. The post inauguration euphoria beat a hasty retreat in the wake of record protests, a wave of executive orders and a record number of lawsuits filed against a president in his first eleven days. In finance terms, this uncertainty translated into concerns about the the ability or time required to effect change through the legislative process – in particular tax reform. This month The S&P gained 1.79%. while my portfolio recorded a gain of 3.51% largely due to the final significant merger completing. After a great 2016, I’m making some changes in my 2017 strategy that will (hopefully) accelerate performance in 2018. Meanwhile I’ll be content with a slight win versus the S&P this year.
Headlines impacting my portfolio:
- 1/5 – WMT ends V ban in Canada
- 1/9 – SBUX discontinues Evenings concept
- 1/10 – NWBI divests MD assets to SHBI
- 1/13 – LSBG/BHB merger completes
- 1/17 – ADP acquires Marcus Buckingham Co.
- 1/20 – IRM acquires Kane Office Archives LLC through BK court
- 1/23 – AMC acquires Nordic Cinema
- 1/24 – Executive order moving Keystone (TRP) forward signed
- 1/25 – DOW 20,000
- 1/25 – BLK moves 1T$ from STT to JPM
- 1/26 – JNJ to acquire ALIOY then spin R&D unit to ALIOY shareowners
- 1/30 – GDOT buys UniRush (RushCard)
- 1/31 – BX prices INVH IPO
posts under consideration for Feb are Methods to my Madness Pt 3 update, Anti-Trump strategy, My Coca-Cola strategy and The Commonality Between Trump and Me
- Added to CLX
- New position – CCLAY
- New position – BHB (LSBG merger)
- New position – SWRAY
- January delivered an increase of 15.46% over January 2016. This requires normalization due to PEP and WRE paying in January rather than December, KO paying in December rather than January and BUSE paying in February. On a normalized basis, this represents a Y/Y increase of 3.1% which is attributable to dividend increases (Y/Y). This means my October purchases from merger proceeds were successful in maintaining my Jan,Apr,Jul,Oct income stream.
- January had a 3.0% increase over the prior quarter.
- Declared dividend increases averaged 7.44% with 19.65% of my portfolio delivering at least one raise (1 cut – YUM).
- Dividends received were 9.2% of total 2016 dividends and if the current run rate is maintained would exceed this total around October 15th.
The MET spin (Brighthouse Financial – BHF) remains pending.
Agrium/POT, JNS/HGG.L remain pending